Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Katrien Vance

August 2, 2019 at 4:36 pm

It’s August!  I just finished Module 2 of Jon’s “Picky” mini-course, and I am so excited about Desmos.  I have:

-mapped out my first unit (September and then repeats in October with a different group of kids) in terms of learning goals.  There are no dates on this map, which makes me a little bit nervous.  I think I have way too much.  I get to do it twice, with two sets of kids, so I’ll have a chance to revise and try again.

-begun to plug in activities for each goal, using 3-act tasks from various sites, Desmos activities, @jon activities, and more.  Since this is a unit I’ve run as a camp before (approximately 15 hours of instruction), I have a skeleton to work from, but I am being much more intentional about the way I introduce ideas.

I admit that I am still nervous about “covering” the curriculum.  I know that this approach and these routines will build problem-solving, curiosity, independence, and resilience in my kids.  I also need to make sure they learn 4 ways to factor a quadratic function, etc., so that they don’t have that terrible feeling of never having heard of something everyone else has heard of when they get to high school.  But wait — if the students are resilient problem-solvers who know how to think for themselves and are confident exploring and finding their own way, maybe that doesn’t matter as much as I think it does?  Thoughts?

I should probably also think about the history, English, and music I am teaching this year.  Huh.

Grinning