Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Elisha Horbay

July 21, 2019 at 10:37 pm

First – Thank you to you and Jon for creating this platform for math educators to be able to learn, share and grow. It’s fantastic. And for responding to all the posts – so much time and effort, it’s appreciated. 

Second – goals update: definitely into summer mode (given Ontario doesn’t go back, for most of us, until September 3rd), so I have not done much. I have typed up what was typed to my wall in two formats – one in teacher language and one in student language. The student language one still needs work though. 

What I have decided for sure – is to allow myself the year to figure this out. There will be days where I may have to give a worksheet, there will be meetings and days where I’m out coaching and I might not be at a place where an appropriate follow up can happen. And that is okay!

The podcast turned video of Michael’s process was great! I have been on a similar journey, although not as in depth. Although I have my expectations outlined, I don’t feel like I will be able to match a task to all the big ideas now. I am going to plan the first few weeks and then go with what my students need. I’m fortunate to have taught grade 8 math for years so I have a variety of tasks and activities already bookmarked and in binders. Perhaps I should outline them in a document/sheet though for easy reference – another shout out to Michael. 

I am aware of  TIPS4Math scope and sequence, and say this with reservation, I’m not a fan. I know of many who think it’s great and many who recommend it. Don’t get me wrong – some of the activities are definitely good, but I don’t feel like it’s a true spiral. It’s still in units that can take weeks to get through and leaves integers until the end – when integers needs to be integrated into so many other aspects of the curriculum. Thank you for the recommendation though. 

This is long – so next steps. Need to work on the student version of the expectations as I definitely plan on putting it into “I can …” statements. Need to come up with at least the first couple weeks of assessments, which will include a reflection component. Need to plan out the first week, which includes explicit learning of collaboration and growth mindset.