Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Let's Talk about "Math Recess" by Singh and Brownell (2019) Reply To: Let's Talk about "Math Recess" by Singh and Brownell (2019)

• Robin Dubiel

July 16, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Hi, Brigitta!  Just home from camping trip #2 (leaving for third adventure early next week!), and I spent a bit of time relaxing on a “zero gravity” chair, reading Math Recess.  One of the best things about this book is that you can totally hear their voices and passion about play in math.  In Chapter One, they talked about building basic fact fluency “joyously” with games and fun.  Have you read “Making Number Talks Matter”?  This might be useful for your enriched class. I finished that chapter mulling over “How could you create a space at your school where mathematical games and play are options for children, not merely as rewards but as part of regular practice?”  The last school I taught at had a Chess Club outside of regular school time, but I genuinely don’t know about other math game and play time.  What might your school do?  What could we try? 

<br>