Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Assessment Challenges Reply To: Assessment Challenges

• Kathy Felt

July 15, 2019 at 10:03 am

Hi Nicholas,

First, I like your 10-point breakdown of points. I totally believe in feedback whenever and wherever it is appropriate for learning. Then, when students take action to improve their learning, I totally support changing the score to the higher score (not averaging the scores) as they have documented learning. I have interesting discussions with other teachers around this very topic, especially when they feel the grades should be averaged. My argument is that learning doesn’t necessarily always follow OUR schedule. The thing to remember about math learning is that it usually builds on previous learning. If there is no incentive to the student to keep learning after an assessment, then the student often gives up and doesn’t fully learn a concept. This concept might be critical for a later topic, and this weakness will likely impact the new learning. So, anything we can do to fully develop and support learning, will help the student fully understand the concepts. Next, we need to come to an understanding of what the grade represents. In my mind, it represents how well the student has mastered the standards. If an average is used, that grade doesn’t really reflect a student’s current level of mastery. Some teachers lament that it is not “fair” to the other students who mastered it from the start. What? Since when does 1 student’s grade affect another’s grade? Each grade should be reflective of individual student’s mastery. Oh boy…we could go on and on and on with this topic!