Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Michael Rubin – How I Spiraled For the First Time Reply To: Michael Rubin – How I Spiraled For the First Time

• Katrien Vance

July 5, 2019 at 3:55 pm

Michael – Thank you!  If you check out comments to the podcast, you’ll see that I had an epiphany while listening to you 3 and realized I’m not really spiraling.  I’m grouping activities together under a theme and intending to hit a lot of kinds of thinking and learning (and NCTM content standards) under that theme.  That is, my hope is that if someone asked the kids what they were studying in math, they might say, “How to predict when zombies will take over the world” rather than “Exponential functions” or “Whether our trailer’s ramp is ADA-compliant” rather than “slope as a ratio, angle, and percentage.”  It’s similar to spiraling, though, in that I am now about to search tasks and put them into different categories of these themes/cycles I’ve developed.  I see that you said that this part of your process was really time-consuming.  I wonder if you have any tips or things not to do?  Congratulations to you and your students–I think you’re going to have a wonderful year! – Katrien