Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler How much time do you have for . . . Reply To: How much time do you have for . . .

• Michael Rubin

June 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm

What I used to do: Warmups were only 7-10 minutes long and generally consisted of review of prior work to prep kids for what I was about to teach them.

What I plan to do: as I begin teaching through task, my plan is to do unrelated (to the day’s task) warmups (for the reasons Jon stated above).

I like low-floor warm-ups. I’m planning on using which one doesn’t belong tasks (wodb.ca), would you rather math (wouldyourathermath.com) and start doing some number talks (just bought Making Number Talks MatterĀ by Cathy Humphrey’s and Ruth Parker).

I like Jon’s idea a lot of using warm-ups to cover all major topics in a week. I hadn’t thought of doing that. Currently I’m planning on using my warm-ups to build number sense and review/teach more elementary math concepts since many of my students will have little to no prior math education.