Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Podcast Discussion EPISODE 26: How To Overcome A Common Math Myth From K Through College Reply To: EPISODE 26: How To Overcome A Common Math Myth From K Through College

• George Garza

May 31, 2019 at 2:52 am

I enjoyed listening to the episode, I liked hearing about the variety of classrooms you had been two and what they were doing.

So the biggest question I have about the episode is the point that was made about being realistic.   I totally appreciate the value of tracking students in little mini goals that are updated on a weekly bases, and I can see it being a valuable practice, it just really seems like it would take a large chunk of time that that I don’t really have.  As a high school teacher, I’ve got 180ish students, if I spent 3 minutes a piece creating and updating minigoals for them, that’s 9 hours.  How have others done this, or an equivalent of it?

Seems like best practice would be to have students do that themselves, have them set and track their own math goals each week.  What do you all think?