Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Noel McMillin

December 13, 2022 at 4:52 pm

I also read the 5 Best Practices book a few years ago and it was a wonderful reminder to watch the lesson.

One of the greatest joys I find is sharing a student’s strategy with the whole class, especially a student that does not typically exemplify the “good” math student. I can see the student’s face light up when I mention his or her name to the class. It is so powerful. It just cannot happen if I am doing 90% of the talking in a lesson.

The practice that takes the most work for me is monitoring. I really need to get my steps in as a go from group to group. I find it challenging to keep all students in all groups on task. It helps immensely when I have good problems to start with, ones with a productive struggle.

I also find that the questions from students are just better when they are given the chance to work on their own or in small groups. It took 2 1/2 weeks of work, but today was the first day of graphing a line in slope-intercept form without creating a table. The questions and comments made by the students were really good and it just would not happen if I was the holder of all knowledge.