Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3.4: Transitioning to Standards Based Grading – Choosing Scales to Measure Growth – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 3.4: Transitioning to Standards Based Grading – Choosing Scales to Measure Growth – Discussion

• Jon Lind

December 12, 2022 at 11:43 pm

In my current system, doing things in the “background” that are not available to students and parents would be, if not strictly forbidden, then certainly frowned upon. There are systems in place requiring a certain amount of reporting, and reporting of grades specifically. Students, parents, and admin push back when we try strictly gradeless feedback.

Right now, we’re working on ways to include the spirit of real standards-based grading while living under the restrictions of our system, so that is the big question that I’m thinking about as I go through this course: How do I keep the idea of growth and assessment for learning when I also HAVE TO report grades periodically? Interesting challenge 🙂