Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Alison Peternell

December 9, 2022 at 5:51 pm

#1 Multiple Opportunities-I do give students this by the work we do in class, exit tickets and entrance tickets to give me a quick view of who knows it and who needs help. I also look at quizzes as ways to assess students’ learning and who I need to help more as we move through a unit of study. However, I don’t do this by allowing a retake. I kind of think the test is the retake from the quiz. I will have to think about this one.

#2 Descriptive Feedback-I do this on the quizzes and tests and keep a list of students I need to target for specific concepts and work with them on these leading up to quizzes and tests. Yet, I am not at the point of retakes yet.

#3 Re-Address Struggle-Retakes-I would have a really hard time with this. I would have to have buy-in from my colleagues. Does this mean everyone gets an A? I understand what you are saying in theory for this but what this looks like when it comes time to sending students on to the next grade and a certain level of math gets complicated if retakes are allowed for one classroom but not another.

#4 Assess by learning Goal/Standard-Again, I think this is hard if a

the school system does not grade in this way. I can do it in theory but how do I present this on an electric report card that is by number grades?

#5 –Use conversations, Observations & Product Isn’t this what we do as teachers? This is something I do on a daily basis while I have conversations with students, listen to their conversations with their peers and watch what they do on paper or white boards.

#6 –Shorter/More Frequent Assessments: I consider doing this allows for a less weighted assessment so when it comes test time, students know the material and the test is really the retake.

#7 – Evaluate & Report on Progress of Student Learning: Again, isn’t evaluating what we are always supposed to be doing? As far as reporting on progress, who do we report this to? The student? I often have conversations with students who seem to be struggling with a concept to see if I can clear up any areas of confusion.

#8 –Use Cumulative Assessment: we do this with “Throwback Questions” but probably should do more of this. We do use Skill Drills every few weeks to continually assess previously learned skills.

#9 – Eliminate Review Days and Study Guides – I would have a hard time doing this. This is considered good teaching in our school system. I’d have to think about this one longer. I don’t think parents, students, administration and Special Education would go along with this.

#10 –Brand Assessment for Learning as a tool to push forward, not labeling-I do look at each student as a work in progress. Some may take longer to learn a concept by seeing all the parts, practicing it in different ways, and connecting the big ideas in different ways. However at some point each year, I need to place them in the appropriate class the next year. I do continue to evaluate them until the last month of school to see if anything may change.