Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Craig Polzen

December 5, 2022 at 1:58 pm

#1 I definitely try to provide students multiple opportunities… sometimes these are in different forms, whether in a conversation, quiz or observation. My challenge is to figure out how to do this while attempting to spiral the curriculum.. I suppose that leads to the idea of a cumulative assessment.

#2 Feedback is ongoing, but I struggle to document it in an anecdotal way that I can recall what I offered in our last conversation. I don’t like to write on student work, which is why I tend to provide oral feedback or use a whiteboard to review where they are going in the wrong direction. I also need to be more concise and descriptive.

#3 This is ongoing… having opportunities to support students who struggle is a constant challenge to balance setting up learning for others and then finding a chance to re-address a particular misconception.

#4 Luckily, I have had the chance to assess by learning goals for most of my career. I’m currently trying to follow a similar structure in a system that boils learning down to a quantitative value, rather than a continuum of learning on particular standards.

#5 Triangulation is exactly the model that I adhere to. Being new in my school, I’ve had to help students adjust to the idea by continually referring them back to the three ways that I assess… observation (try to use anecdotal notes), conversations (either with me or others that I listen to) and documentation (in their notebook or whiteboard).

#6 Ideally, I would like to shift to a weekly short assessment of learning, but admit that I have struggled to implement this. It’s a culture adjustment in my current role to shift assessment to promote learning not labeling, so I’m taking small steps towards making this happen next semester.

#7 While I’m not 100% pleased with our reporting procedures, I am trying to make time to meet with families in person to have conversations about learning. Building this culture of communication is a journey… but we’re taking one step at a time.

#8 I admit that I was surprised to hear this one from Kyle. But it does make sense. Especially with the idea of spiraling the curriculum. I’ll have to reflect and consider how to build this into my assessments next semester.

#9 This I can agree with. Learning should continue throughout the semester. The culture of a review day or review week promotes the idea that learning is “over” rather than ongoing. While I want students to have responsibility for their learning, I’m still open to providing them with an opportunity to reflect on what concepts we explored in order to refresh their memory prior to an end of semester assessment.

#10 Yes. As I mentioned, shifting culture to assessment for learning not labeling is a slow process and one that requires shifts across a school and community. We can control how assessment is framed in our room, but need to push that conversation further to bring more like minded educators together to affect real change over time.