Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Alison Peternell

December 2, 2022 at 12:42 pm

I used the AGES learning model when I taught writing linear equations. I got the students attention by putting them in random groups of 3 and sending them directly to the whiteboards. I told them that I was not going to teach them the objective but have them “Grapple” out word problems with their peers and use their previous knowledge to figure out how to write equations from the given information. At first students were not sure what to do with the information but with a little prodding from me, I encouraged them to talk to their partners, write down information on the whiteboard and brainstorm ideas. I was pleased to see that through “Generation” they were able to logically make connections from the price of something as being the slope or m-value and keep going with what they know about slope-intercept form. Because students were standing up and talking with their peers to figure out problems, their “Attention” and “Emotions” were at a higher positive/safe level because of the climate set in the class. They were not just sitting at a desk alone waiting for me to give the next clue. At the whiteboards, the are able to try things out, erase things that are not working and move themselves to understanding with very little input from me.