Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Alison Peternell

November 27, 2022 at 9:38 am

I will be teaching writing linear equations when given two points of data. I plan to not “teach” this directly by starting with notes this year. I am going to give students word problems first and see what they do. I think some students will take what I have given them, example: number of pillows and cost and divide and find that they get two different rates. They will be confused by this and I will have to give them a push to have them wonder why they are different and how we could make the cost the same. I think there may be a second level of students who will make a table or two coordinate points and calculate the slope but then get stuck. They will find the difference of the rate they found and the leftover and consider the to be the y-intercept. It will be my job to gently guide them along to think about y=mx+b and what information they know and what they want to know. They will have to grapple with this but I think there may be a third group that will go straight to the equation to substitute in the (x,y) and the slope to find the “b”.