Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Alison Peternell

November 14, 2022 at 2:59 pm

I am teaching Slope Intercept Form this week. We had been graphing equations using a table. Student’s who do not know Slope Intercept Form previous to our exploration are at the Unconsciously Incompetent phase (some of my students know it because of outside math). They don’t even know there is an easier way to graph a line without doing a tedious table. I love teaching this because we have graphed so much, they are kind of getting sick of making the tables and are so relieved to find an easier way by the end of this unit.

They are lead to the Conscious Incompetent phase by doing a real world problem that they end up writing a linear equation and graphing it without using a table.

Once we have a discussion about this problem and talk about the components of the slope of the line and the y-intercept they are able to see these pieces in the equation that leads them to the ability to graph without a table. They are then able to quickly graph a linear equation with ease and are at the Unconscious Competent phase.

They reach Competent Mastery when they are able to take real world linear problems and are able to graph, write equations, and make predictions about what will happen in different situations.