Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Noel McMillin

November 11, 2022 at 2:05 pm

Here is my typical day. I watch a video from the class and then turn around and implement something the next day. This time it was a “Would you rather” problem. Specifically, would you rather have a stack of quarters to the top of your head or $225. I assumed it would be a 15-minute problem, but it took about thirty minutes. I find it so enjoyable to return to my first love and why I chose to be a math teacher – thinking critically and problem-solving. It ended up being a little bit like pulling teeth. It certainly took a while to get the kids going. However, I won at least one student over and it literally made my day! So much of what these resources can do is change the paradigm of our students. Too often math is only inside the four walls of a math classroom or at least that is what our students think. Resources like these build confidence no matter the student.

My takeaway is it takes time. The resources shared are all so good, many of which I was familiar with already. But to make it work, I must be persistent. Keep on keeping on. I also need to be flexible. A fifteen-minute opener can turn in to a full class period and I need to take advantage of those teachable moments and get out of the way.