Make Math Moments Academy › Forums › Full Workshop Reflections › Module 2: Engaging Students Using Problems That Spark Curiosity › Lesson 2-4: How to transform textbook problems into captivating tasks › Lesson 2-4 Question & Sharing › Reply To: Lesson 2-4 Question & Sharing
Craig PolzenMemberOctober 30, 2022 at 6:48 pm
I’m thinking about my G10 group and revising this problem to have a hands on component.
“The construction plans for a ramp show that it rises 3.5 metres over a horizontal distance of 10.5 metres. How long will the ramp surface be?”
Creativity Path version:
1. Notice & Wonder – Find an image of a doorway or entrance that is raised above the ground with no stair or ramp, just a drop straight down.
2. Anticipation – introduce a 2.5 metre height from ground to the doorway (change from 3.5 so a standard ruler can be used in next step)
3. Guiding Question 1 – If we wanted to build a ramp from the doorway down to the ground, how long would it be?
4. Explore – build a scaled version (1m = 10cm) of this scenario with a ruler, tape and string for the ramp.
5. Guiding Question 2 – Explore different ramp lengths. What length would you suggest? Why?
6. Guiding Question 3 – If we wanted our ramp to land at 10.5 metres from the wall, how long would it have to be?