Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Mary Olsen

September 1, 2022 at 11:54 am

Problem: Arturo paid $8 in tax on a purchase of $200. At that rate, what would the tax be on a purchase or $150?

Changed to : Arturo paid $8 in tax on a purchase. WDYN? WDYW?

I thought then students should make estimates on how much the item he purchased cost to have $8 in taxes. Having students partner share and then share with the class.

Eventually I will reveal he spent $200.

Then I can have students find out how much tax he would spend on other purchases if the rate was the same. Or I can give them another tax amount and have them estimate how much was spent before moving onto how much tax it would be for a specific purchase.Problem: Arturo paid $8 in tax on a purchase of $200. At that rate, what would the tax be on a purchase or $150?

Changed to : Arturo paid $8 in tax on a purchase. WDYN? WDYW?

I thought then students should make estimates on how much the item he purchased cost to have $8 in taxes. Having students partner share and then share with the class.

Eventually I will reveal he spent $200.

Then I can have students find out how much tax he would spend on other purchases if the rate was the same. Or I can give them another tax amount and have them estimate how much was spent before moving onto how much tax it would be for a specific purchase.