Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kami Fevery

August 20, 2022 at 5:46 pm

#1Multiple Opportunities To Assess Learning

This have been one that I have been striving for for a bit now, as I will say, I have experienced an education system which replies on one “be all to end all” assessment and it definitely rubbed me the wrong way. I do struggle though still trying to work out a system that is both effective and efficient for documenting these multiple ways of assessing a student’s skills and knowledge.

#2 Provide Descriptive Feedback

Again I find it hard not to see this as an important part of your commitment as an educator to student learning. However, I will fully admit that this is one I have struggled with. Being very overwhelmed with the endless list of to dos as a homeroom teacher, teaching 7 to 9 different subjects and still being able to uphold this commitment is a challenge I have yet to figure out how to overcome. I actually am trying not to be too hard on myself when I don’t give students feedback within an appropriate time even though I know they deserve it. I will say this is hard though as I completely see the impact timely and effective feedback has on student success. To compensate for my shortcomings in this, I have tried to come up with different strategies such as not making the whole feedback process so formal and maybe even assessing and giving kids oral feedback right there on the spot. Or using tech tools that allow a recording of my oral feedback. I find sometimes I want to write a book, but then takes way too much time to assess.

#3 Provide Opportunities To Re-Address Struggles

I am going to make an oath to this one. “I solemnly swear to never use the work re-test again” I never liked this practice and almost stopped doing it but then had a group of students ask to do re-tests and going to be honest it was an easy way out. I think though it is not the re-testing of knowledge practice that is the problem but how it is marketed. I like this wording of re-addressing struggles…or re-address skills. I would like to make it more of an open situation for my students if they want another opportunity to show what they got. I feel like I would say to them “pick a learning goal of your choice and then let’s re-address it and play around a bit, see if we can uncover the skill you have in there.” This would then be a conference-like one-to-one session where were go through a few skills.

#4 Assess by Standard-Based or Learning Goal

Whole-heartedly taking this one on this year, as I am hopeful to really get students involved in their own self-check ins using these standards. I will be using for my Grade 8s but may have to play around a bit for my grade4/5 class

#5 Use Conversation, Observations & Products

I am excited to really focus on conversation this year. I will be using a strategy where students are engaged in more of a passion project, while I engage in Math Conversations (small groups or one-to-one) to really bring out the knowledge and skill, that maybe hasn’t been brought out in other Check Ins, or Tasks.

#6 Use Shorter, More Frequent Assessment

With an overhaul of my model of teaching math this year, allowing for more collaborative group tasks using VNSs, I am hoping to even get in more assessment as students engage in conversations with other students.

#7 Evaluate & Report on Progress of Student Learning

I think this strategy has been what has gotten me through the crazy stress of report card season. Being told by my admin one day that I can comment on the progress rather than having to comment on the summative achievement definitely lightened the weight on my shoulders.

#8 Use Cumulative Assessments

I love this idea. I almost want to call it Flashback Section on an assessment, where there are questions from previous topics on recent assessments. Love this idea as it is simple and easy to implement!

#9 Eliminate Review Days & Study Guides

I actually somehow never really got into review guides or study days. I don’t know why. Being honest it was most likely because I didn’t have the time in my schedule, struggling to get through content as it is. Therefore, I have no plan of brining it back.

#10 Brand Assessment For Learning

YES! YES! YES! I love this idea! I personally think this is the key holder to really setting a different environment in your classroom and further instilling a joy for Mathematics.