Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kristie D’Arcangelo

August 19, 2022 at 1:30 pm

I love everything about the concept of spiraling except having to start from scratch to plan it all out. Given the uncertainty in my district as to placements from year to year I am hesitant to try and do it all for this year and then end up being moved. It is also a new curriculum to me and my colleague who is new to 7th grade math in general that I don’t feel it would be fair to him to do so. I will admit I was getting more and more discouraged as the steps went on as I thought about how much time/effort this would take while trying to help a new teacher too. And then the sixth step was explained and I breathed a sigh of relief as I can see myself being able to do this with my assessments. That is not going to be as time-consuming as planning out the entire year in a spiral format. After peeking at the resources on Spiraling that were part of this lesson, I noticed a reference to lagging homework which I had read about in another book this summer and already had on my list of things to work to implement this year. I am excited to see it referenced here as it further affirms my decision to give it a go.