Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kristie D’Arcangelo

August 19, 2022 at 12:57 pm

This explanation really caused conflict in my brain as our district had Everyday Math years ago and teachers complained that it never really taught anything fully. I was not ever at a grade level to have used it but am wondering now if they were not using it correctly or to its fullest purpose. You have made a VERY strong case for spiraling and I am conflicted as to how to begin my new year with a new curriculum that I am not really a fan of to begin with. It is definitely massed together by topics into Units of Study, which when done will be briefly sprinkled in on a few problems at the end of each module. I like the idea of sparking all the curiosity and need for learning but I guess what I struggle with most is how to know where to pick up at each level of spiral as you move through the full listing of standards and content to address/teach. Our Common Core standards feel like there is too much we are expected to do and to spread it out in tiny bits I am worried I may miss something. As much as I truly believe that this sounds like the way to present the material, I am worried about my ability to present everything in a way that will be thorough and in a quality manner all while trying to coach a brand new 7th grade math teacher at the same time who has not had the trainings I have or read the books that I have. Thoughts???