Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Mary Olsen

August 17, 2022 at 9:40 am

I like the idea of withholding information to make the task more open. After listening to your blog I tried a few of your tasks and used notice and wonder. The students participated but it did not seem to spark curiosity. I did have a unique class this past year as I taught Algebra Readiness which was a second math class for student that struggle in math. As most do not like math and did not want to be there I worked hard to build a safe culture. One of my take-aways of this lesson is to realize that it is going to take time. Even if the kids are negative or barely participating I can’t give up. I know that these struggling students need this as much or even more to help them better understand math.

I hope I can better learn how to apply these 4 strategies in my classroom on a daily basis. As I get bored with the “normal” I teach you do way of teaching. But getting past students wanting to stay in the normal zone (even though in reality they do not like and and usually don’t get it) takes a lot more energy. I am praying this year I will be more successful than my attempts in the last school year.