Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Nicolle Ristow

August 9, 2022 at 8:58 pm

The lesson I am looking at is Ocean Plastic Pollution problem, which I would use as an introduction to exponential growth function.

1. Attention: I would show the class a video of a floating garbage island. With this I would do a notice/wonder about the video and maybe have a little discussion about what it is and what caused it, etc.

2. Generation: Next I would give some interesting data that is associated with the production of plastic and the percent of increase of plastic products. We would them connect this information the basic exponential function.

3. Emotion: I am going to look at the Autonomy part and create a problem that allows the student a choice on how to create a solution for this problem. For example, they might remove the current plastic from the oceans.

4. Spacing: Once the students have thought of ways to solve this problem, I will give them additional information that the students can then use to prove that their solution will help the problem of plastic pollution in the oceans.