Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kristie D’Arcangelo

August 8, 2022 at 11:32 am

I totally agree that manipulatives are a very useful tool in the classroom, but up until now I had thought of them as more of a resource to pull out when students were having trouble with the abstract concepts. In 7th grade I never considered the use to spark curiosity and absolutely LOVE how they were used in this activity. My struggle is two-fold: 1 – how to get this kind of lesson in and still address ALL of the standards that I am required to get to before state testing which is sadly in early to mid-May even though the year doesn’t end til mid-late June and 2 – how to post the “learning objectives” which I am required to according to my teacher evaluation standards without giving away the anticipation. I have always believed in a more discovery way of learning for students and have been resistant to posting such specific objective and recently found a listing of generic ones that focus on the problem solving skills and such. I am hoping that this will satisfy the expectation as it frustrates me that they want me to straight up tell kids what they are learning each and every day. I don’t see where the mystery and fun is in that and I would much rather teach as you are sharing. I guess I will have to continue to be rebellious and NOT post them.