Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kristie D’Arcangelo

August 6, 2022 at 3:34 pm

Wow, when I thought I had been pumped up as far as I possibly could with the last lesson in the previous module I am now loving this hero’s analogy for getting kids to be more resilient with their problem solving. I have been guilty of the notes first, examples, I do, you do, mimicry and have never felt it was the way to really get kids to learn, but year after year my kids told me how helpful the notes were and how they loved the notebook that they now had as a reference. However, I struggled with the fact that many kids couldn’t do problems unless they looked exactly like one of the examples. Even my advanced kids just wouldn’t even try if it looked remotely different. This frustrated me and caused me to seek out the way I have always wanted to teach but did not have the where with all nor the time to figure out exactly how to make it work. I feel like this conference is solidifying my beliefs as to how students learn math best and supports the crazy idea I have had for quite some time about presenting problems to students. My colleagues have always nodded and smiled nicely at me when I ever suggest that the students discover the rules and how to solve the problems without being told. You have made me feel less crazy. Thank you!