Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kristie D’Arcangelo

July 25, 2022 at 2:41 pm

This type of lesson reminded me of the “Building Thinking Classroom” format that Peter Liljedahl shared in his book of the same name. I loved being able to see it done out from the other side of things. I have implemented several of these lessons over the course of the previous year but it was great to be in the “student’s” seat so to speak to truly see how it is from their perspective. The benefits to this type of learning are limitless as students gain more ownership over their learning and it means more to them. It was absolutely amazing to see the students shine and work through challenging problems without have been “taught” the material first. This is a stark difference to the traditional style of lesson and one that I have always believed was better for student learning. For most of my career, I have been trying to incorporate this type of lesson without having a name or plan for it. I am so grateful for having read the aforementioned book and for choosing to participate in this conference as they are solidifying for me what I have always known was a great way to work with students. The only reservations I have are that I get so into the kids and their solutions that I run over time and consolidation ends up being rushed. I have to work better on my pacing after I get the kids into the groove. My students LOVED board work last year and would do any and all work at the boards in groups if given the opportunity, even if it wasn’t a “task” situation. This made me smile as they eagerly got up to discuss math!