Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Laura Compean

July 7, 2022 at 11:48 pm

Hello Kyle and Jon,

I ran this with my Math Lab summer session yesterday with students grade 6-8. I’m trying out different lessons with these students to prep for an intervention 9th grade class during the school year. Overall the lesson went great. The students had not seen any visual representations before for two digit multiplication. We did a lot of mental math before using Jo Boaler’s techniques then went into the lesson. They all liked the area model and using algebra tiles. My question is how do you slow down the faster students? I had a 6th grader and an 8th grader working at the whiteboards together. The 8th grader flew through the tasks and explained even faster to the 6th grader. The 6th grader didn’t want to say, “I don’t get it” so she just moved on. I’m trying to use one marker for the board so the one can explain his thoughts to the writer but they always find another pen. I also find the students are still asking me all the questions (more is my answer correct questions) instead of talking to each other. Any suggestions how to slow down the faster learners?