Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Marion Mulgrew

July 6, 2022 at 2:38 pm

I have done the problem manipulation with names of my students, and problem details that are relevant to them. I agree that helps, but isn’t the same. However, I think it makes an assessment feel more comfortable.

I use notice and wonders a lot, but I think I will use them much more effectively now. I plan on being able to use them mid-lesson if stuck. I can withhold information, like using “problems without figures” and remember that if they want the information, it is much more powerful than that just immediately given. The key is to have the situation be interesting enough to not just evoke frustration.

I find when kids say, “I don’t know…”, a notice and wonder let’s you push them in whichever way your relationship naturally works. “Are your eyes closed?”, “Everyone can notice something…”, etc. Then validate whatever answer they say and smile. It’s along your “Johnny” example, and we all have at least 1 of him every class.

Funny, when I teach my adult students at night (GED prep), I always make them estimate and think of reasonable answers first. (Predictions). Then I see/hear them when working self-correct because where they are going isn’t going to yield a reasonable answer. I need to remember to push my day students (middle schoolers) to do this too.