Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Anna Clark

June 28, 2022 at 5:18 pm

Since I won’t be teaching this week (or until August! Yay! lol) I guess I have a more general reflection rather than response to a prompt. I feel I struggle most with the variety of tasks. I needed to hear that it doesn’t ALWAYS have to be a video and doesn’t ALWAYS have to be a hands-on-with-manipulatives task. I think I get stuck and frustrated sometimes when I try to find a hands-on task for something that a chocolate-eating video would suffice! Or vice versa. So bringing this into my classroom will mean having a more open mind in what I search for and also the creative thinking I’l have to do.

I also see myself getting frustrated at the “Jonnie Jokester” and “Olivia Overacheiver” in my room. Like I never know how to react when they don’t take it seriously or refuse to work at all. This past year I gave up right in the middle of the boycotts and went back to fill-in-the-blank notes pages. I know now, after this video, it’s better to validate that than to stress about it!

I’m honestly just so excited to start looking though my lessons again and seeing, “Well I stopped looking for something curious here because I couldn’t find a hands-on task. Let’s search a little broader, or let’s start with a textbook problem and see how I can alter it.”

I also loved hearing, “You can always add but never subtract.” Which I heard with sore ears because the same ears heard a hundred students complaining about how I wouldn’t just TELL THEM what to do. I can see myself implementing all of your strategies so excitedly and then getting popped like a balloon at the students who refuse to work in the “new” way.