Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Heidi Cheng

June 26, 2022 at 1:33 pm

My 5 year old son can count up to 100 and he can also skip count by 5. He finds it fun and I think I should ask him tomorrow if he can represent the counting with concrete materials and what it means to him.

With my students, some of them struggled with multiplication. My 12 year old daughter had a very difficult time with multiplying numbers since grade 2. We didn’t know how she developed her way of multiplying numbers (especially multi-digit numbers) until this year. Embarrassed to say, my husband and I (both math teachers) finally sat her down and worked with her. She understood the area model and she could even work on multiplying fractions but she was just not able to multiply numbers “efficiently”. Yes, if she has all the time in the world, she can finish all the questions on a test. Unfortunately, our world is not a perfect world! I thought she would somehow advance to the automaticity level but she didn’t. I turned back to the “old way”. I wonder how to encourage students to move from consciously incompetent to consciously competent/ unconsciously competent before moving to consciously expertise!