Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Deanna Semyon

June 23, 2022 at 9:54 am

I love the idea of the Hero’s Journey as a means to helping my students develop resilience and perseverance as they solve problems… or even just begin to develop comfort with math. With the new opportunity for me to teach a pull out class I can see sparking curiosity as the door to student success. Most of my students just want to put a mark on the paper to get the work done so they can get credit (when they were in cotaught classes). Now I will be able to help students see a purpose to what they are doing.

I always hated that there was no real world connection until we got to the word problems, often towards the end of a lesson or unit. And at that point it was nothing but groans from students and sometimes teachers. I like the idea of flipping application to the front in a fun and playful way to spark curiosity.

When I began this course I thought I couldn’t do this. But, I am beginning to be enlightened! I don’t have to know all the math answers or be an expert. I need to show perseverance and resilience myself so that I can model what it looks like for students to be engaged and that problem solving is a part of daily life.

I appreciate that you showed a variety of ways to help students link ideas to the problem. I am so used to math having only 1 or 2 ways to do it “right” (both as a student as a co teacher). I do need to make sure that I can see a variety of ways to approach problems so that I am prepared to guide students to be successful.

I can’t wait just to host some math conversations using some of the resources from the last module and some of the videos on your site. It will be exciting just to hear what students know and begin to understand what perks their curiosity about math.