Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Renee Holmquist

June 21, 2022 at 1:37 pm

I used the Niagara Falls Ferris Wheel Problem but I would continue the problem as ask if you started in the bottom car, where are you after 30 seconds. They would need more information like how long it takes to get around 1 time, how high off the ground is the bottom, what is the diameter of the circle, etc. I would slow reveal this as they asked for it. Ideally they would be writing a sinusoidal function for the wheel. Prior Knowledge would be they know the basic graphs and transformations of sine and cosine and now are applying it to a real world example.

Attention – Notice and Wonder about the picture and the number of cars/people. Then would follow with the challenge of the height of the car and withholding information. This would spark curiosity.

Generation – students would have freedom of how they want to solve and would be able to look around the room at what others are doing.

Emotions – possibly connect to a time in their childhood they went on a Ferris wheel and make them realize all the was involved that they probably never thought about. They would have social interaction with their peers to solve a challenging problem in a supported environment.

Spacing – Right triangle trig could come back up here along with proportions, rates, and transformations of functions. This would then blend into graphs of tangent and cofunctions.