Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Deanna Semyon

June 15, 2022 at 8:38 am

As a special education teacher who will be starting pull out math courses at the high school level I have a lot of thoughts. I like the idea of getting students curious about math. Many of my students who have been in general education classes, but really struggled just do not like math. Often when asked anything about math they will state that they hate math and there is no need for math.

On the other hand, when I was a student I would have hated being asked to wonder and be curious. I wanted (and still do) to always be correct in the most efficient manner, so I would have been that student who boycotted the teacher when asked to notice and wonder.

I am most curious about the Dan Meyer’s math dial and seeing if I can use that not only as a tool for me as a teacher, but a tool for students to measure their growth.

I am excited to create a community that assures safety, curiosity and comfort in math. My concern is that as a special education teacher who has not independently taught math courses in the past 7 years that my comfort level may not be at the level of safely guiding or building that curiosity correctly (I may let them go down the wrong path) or I may not know enough to get them started in the direction I need the students to go.