Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Christine Pomatto

June 14, 2022 at 2:29 pm

For some reason, it has never occurred to me that I need to teach students how to be resilient and how to engage in productive struggle. Every time I have tried task-based learning, I have at least a few students who give up right away – which is as frustrating for me as it is for them. I would really love to structure my first week of the 2022-23 school year such that it builds a culture of notice and wonder, productive struggle, and resilience. I think this will allow me to use it much more often in my classroom. Now I just need to convince the rest of the 7th grade math department to get on board! (Speaking of which – what’s the best way to share what I’m learning with them? I know I can’t share the course itself since they aren’t enrolled.)

The hero’s journey is an interesting metaphor that I had not considered before re: math, but it makes a lot of sense. By the time students get to me, many of them have failed math several times and been placed into a self-contained class. I’d love to find a way to help them see themselves as a hero on a journey!