Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Christine Pomatto

June 8, 2022 at 11:58 am

This lesson style demands engagement from the students. I found myself trying to work out the problem before the instructions were even given! I love that the lesson provides multiple entry and exit points, which is crucial in a special education classroom like mine, where students don’t always have the foundational skills they need to go straight into calculating at grade level. This low floor can also build confidence for students who feel they are “bad at math” – with determination, they may be able to solve it using manipulatives or pictures.

I have provided some lessons in a similar format before, and they have generally been successful – although sometimes I struggle to make sure I still cover everything I need to cover! The need for regular grades in the grade book is a reservation. I may consider providing some kind of exit ticket at the end of a multi-day lesson so I can quantify their understanding. Additionally, in my classroom, there are some students who are so far down the “I’m bad at math” rabbit hole that they refuse to work with others out of fear of looking stupid. I also have certain students with high absentee rates – and it is very hard to “make up” a task-based lesson like this.