Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Jared Sliger

June 1, 2022 at 8:52 am

I can see the truth of this every day in my classes. The majority of my students have been trained. If they just wait long enough, the teacher will show me how to do the problem. A lot of times there is a refusal to engage with the problem because of how they have been taught to deal with struggle. The picture I have in my head is learning how to swim, not Bike Class. Can you imagine learning all there is to learn about swimming, water, equipment and other things related to swimming, but the moment you actually get in the water, the lifeguard jumps in and pulls you to the side? You wouldn’t need to learn how to swim, we would be teaching you that if I get in the water, I’ll be saved.

The more I learn in this course, listen to your podcasts and put Liljedahl’s BTC ideas into my classroom, the more I realize how much better my class can be. I love the Hero’s Journey analogy. It is why Liljedahl encourages teachers to use non-curricular tasks to in class, we can familiarize them with the Hero’s Journey and productive struggle. We can help them see that struggle is good…and then once they realize they will have to be an active participant in their own rescue…then we can hit them with the math. The students will have the habit and the trust that the struggle will be worth it.