Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Stephanie Pritchett

May 28, 2022 at 4:58 pm

Great lesson. These are my take aways:

#1- I tend to give this idea lip service. I teach resource special education math. Unfortunately many of my students are just happy if they get a passing grade. Most students if I offer help or opportunities to relearn or improve, they’ll say “I’m good.” If they do come to learn it is often to bring up their grade. I guess I need to get away from the “grade” even though that is the measurement in our district and lean more into what learning did you do.

#2 I have provided descriptive feedback and it is typically with the grade. I believe it is right that there are no gains when there is a great unless the student cares about improving the grade. One year I just wrote the feedback and I’d tell mastery level was on our grading tool. The feedback didn’t seem to give them an action step. I like having a specific action step for the students. I’m interested more on how this is done and how to follow up on that?

#3 I do allow my students to re-address learning goals, usually at our intervention time or before or after school. Has anyone found ways during school or class for students to readdress goals? In the past retakes have been corrections on missed problems on tests. What are some ideas of how to help students who struggle with concepts, but don’t have the drive to ask questions or come in and get help? Many of my students don’t understand and need help to understand the material and we do that orally, if I see improvement in understanding orally I will change the previous “grade” or level of understanding.

#4/ #6 I want to do better and break down tests to standards. I have been giving unit tests with too much material. I think have frequent shorter tests are a great idea, especially for my students with IEP’s, it’s like progress monitoring.

#5 I do this somewhat, but I think I would like to have a spreadsheet that I can add to. Question is how to add it to a formal grading system when the same assignment or grade should be given to everyone? More ideas on how this is implemented would be helpful.

#7 I am guilty of this. I think weekly shorter tests are the answer to this one. This seems like it make take more time to create, though this would really be the only thing to asses or put in the gradebook each week?

#8 Such a fan of this of course. But the time to implement and create things is the concern.

#9 I have done reviews in the past, and they seem affective for just a few students. I also think study notes are not helpful because students are trying to bring back things they don’t really understand. I think formulas would be good to provide in situations, so they don’t have to memorize, but focus on how its used.

#10 Need to improve in this area. Any words, phrases and actions you use to emphasis this throughout the year?