Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Anna Clark

May 27, 2022 at 11:01 am

I agree with so many here! I kept updating my Venn as I went through.

“Good” at math: ask questions/seek to understand (inartistically motivated), confidence/growth mindset, engaged no matter the modality, general enjoyment of the “puzzle” of math, ask for opportunities to extend their learning, memorize well, regular attendance.

“Bad” at math: fall asleep in class, don’t engage in purposeful practice, give up quickly (little to no stamina), lack of confidence (fixed mindset), lack of home support (either parents not caring about their schooling at all, parents being absent/home life being unstable, or even just parents acting like mathematics is a genetic trait), lack of fluency/”bad” at memorizing, poor attendance

Both: Feel an obligation to be present and working (though some buck against that obligation), generally want to do well and receive praise/experience public success, think that there’s a right/wrong way to do math (I think the difference between students after they think this is whether they think it’s in their power to achieve that right/wrong), play the comparison game with their peers (am I doing as well as the majority? Am I doing better than the majority? Am I at least doing better than the person over there who I despise?)