Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kami Fevery

May 25, 2022 at 8:19 pm

I chose to do an oldie. Krispy Kreme. I think this was the first ever 3-act math task I did years ago. : ) I find that middle hump is always the hardest to overcome, especially when students don’t have the skills. I personally struggle when I notice a student disinterested or disengaged from the tasks while the rest of the group is full force ahead. Usually this student is barely able to keep up with the mental math. Question..considering the pantomime task, would you ever consider giving a student who seems to be struggling more than the group a calculator. I am trying to grabble myself with this decision as I feel with students especially at a higher grade (I teach grade 8) the gap and missing mental math strategies can overtake the whole question. Or are we better to have a mini-lesson on mental math adding. I have tried this a couple times to spend a good 5 minutes trying to build the student’s confidence with mental math getting them to review and work through strategies to realize by the time I am done the rest of the group has a strategy for the bigger idea of the math task.