Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Laura Compean

May 4, 2022 at 1:21 pm

I used the Magic Rectangle today with an Algebra Support Class. They are dual enrolled in Algebra 1 and Math Support. These students don’t have any number sense and dependent on their calculators. We started with using 21 buttons and playing the game where they take away 1, 2, or 3. Seeing them using a calculator to take away such small numbers at first but then they were so wrapped up in the game they were doing the subtraction on their own. WIN! A few kids caught on to if they get to four first, they win. We will continue playing on Friday to see if more kids can find the pattern. That would be the first part of the Hero’s Journey. They are building struggle for sure. The engagement level rose 10 floors with this game.

Next came the Notice/Wonder from the Magic Rectangle activity. The kids were actually writing things down, sharing with their group, asking great questions. They went to vertical white boards to start drawing different rectangles. They needed my assistance on how to organize. They looked at other teams ideas to start working on their own. I needed to ask them about the pattern because they didn’t know what to do next. I feel their Hero’s Journey perseverance was very shallow. The attention span was minimum. Maybe because this is the first thinking task I did with them, it wasn’t the greatest. I went back to my old ways at the end of the period and started teaching them the formula/pattern. They shut down, stop thinking and the lesson was over. I know I shouldn’t feel defeated but I do.