Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Patricia Scheler

May 3, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Our school district has set forth a plan for the year that includes all of the objectives we must teach as well as a timeline. Therefore, I am somewhat obligated to work within that timeframe. That being said, teachers have input, annually, as to whether or not the plan is adequate in terms of time allowance and flow. Thankfully, we have just about created a “perfect plan” (if you will) to establish pacing that stands the best chance of meeting most students’ needs. It also seems to scaffold student learning rather than teaching topics in isolation.

In my lessons, my colleagues and I include a warm-up that spirals in topics that have already been learned. From that, students are continually practicing concepts they have already been taught.

My lesson for next week is a continuation of personal finance. Using the AGES plan, I can implement the following:

A- Attention I will start with a problem that gets students excited and triggers their curiosity. We use “clickers.” They love it and are happy to get the question right.
    G-Generation Since even students in 2nd grade are interested in money, I can gain enthusiasm for the topic when asking questions that are pertinent to them: video games, toys, and favorite books. Once I have their buy-in, they will be more apt to pay attention.
    E-Emotion Status – Value all student input and encourage every student with positive feedback./ Certainty will help build confidence. / Autonomy can be achieved by allowing students to choose their centers./Relatedness must be proved so students will know that the topic applies to them. / Fairness allows students to get what they need in the way of extra tools and/or support.
    S-Spacing Students will have had time to absorb the topic since this is the 2nd week of personal finance. This was also introduced after the module about money. Furthermore, we are in the midst of a Social Studies unit on Economics. Students will make connections to what they have already learned, what they are learning, and their personal lives.