Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Zorica Lloyd

April 20, 2022 at 11:43 am

There is so much here for me to think about! Trying to spiral the content would allow me to sit and think about how to order and interconnect math topics, which I think is so much more authentic and allows for creativity. Also, I like problem based learning and often find that students needs to bring in topics outside of the unit we’re studying because in real life problems don’t relate to just one topic. Spiraling can help with this because the “unit” can be the the various content strands that come up in the problem rather than the unit being one math topic (e.g. “unit” consists of a mix of proportion and measurement or geometry standards in a project on building, rather than just focusing on geometry standards, including some that aren’t relevant to the project).

And, I love the idea of spiraled assessments because it seems so much more just and aligned with what we claim to believe. Most educators acknowledge that students are constantly learning and improving understanding, but assessments tend to measure a student at a particular point in time. And students’ final grades don’t reflect the improvements they’ve made in a concept after the test. I’ve recently found myself conflicted by this. Having spiraled assessments can go a long way in addressing this. If a students deepens their understanding of a topic, they will do better on that topic when it comes a round again. This genuinely promotes a growth mindset.