Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Zorica Lloyd

April 16, 2022 at 8:15 am

Concept: Percent

1). Students will be able to do the benchmark percents naturally. They may even think in terms of fractions or division rather than percent (e.g. 50% of 91 is half of 91).

2). Similar to student above, but anticipating that soon they’ll have to answer more complex percentages that are based on factors of 100. They may realize that they can always find 1% easily, then multiply the percent (17% of 43: 1% is 0.43 so 17% is 0.43 x 17). I presume students won’t want to do that much work every time and will start to seek something simpler.

3). Students using what we know about the relationships between fractions, decimals, percent as well as understanding of part and whole and/or of equivalent fractions to show multiple ways of approaching percent problems.

4). Honestly, some of my students here will be automatic because they have math tutors and have memorized formulas. Others will “just know” or just “see it”. For the former, I’ll have them explain WHY their method of choice works And have them compare and contrast with other methods. For the latter, I’ll ask them to try to “slow their brain down” to see if they can figure out the subconscious thought process that is happening.