Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Kerri Brodie

March 22, 2022 at 10:14 pm

I think this year has been a lot of pivoting for me. My students and teachers tried really hard but learning during the pandemic was so challenging. They did not retain concepts like they usually do and they are left with unfinished learning. Since I am aware of that, I try to be flexible and pivot as needed to reteach those concepts maybe in the same way but maybe in a more student directed way to help them. The lessons I chose were from the beginning of the year and I really don’t feel that I pivoted when i should have. The students did not really remember the Pythagorean Theorem which I was using as a quick warm up for the Distance and Midpoint formulas. Since I was caught surprised, I just did a quick review and moved on. However, I think it would have been better if I had pivoted to a problem that Jon described at the beginning of this course that I think could help my students to explore more and hopefully build on the prior knowledge they do have around distances and Pythagorean Theorem.