Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Jonathan Lind

March 5, 2022 at 6:22 am

The hero’s journey makes sense as a path we hope our students take through math class. Productive struggle is super important, but it’s SO difficult to get students, especially students with 8+ years of being told how to do things, to accept the idea that NOT knowing how to do things is where real learning happens. I’m really happy to see a lot of elementary teachers in these workshops, and am excited to start getting more and more students who have had this kind of instruction in prior math classes.

I do have a wondering of my own for Jon and Kyle: I’ve been working on implementing the steps from Peter Liljedhal’s Building Thinking Classrooms this year (it’s all about the Canadians in my math world this year :). His research seems to encourage us to get them going on solving a thinking task as quickly as possible, while the steps presented here have a great deal of preamble and teacher-directed discussion before the students are “set loose” to solve the problem. I am sure that these ideas can both live in the same world (they do in my classroom), but I wonder if either of you could share your thoughts on this. (I’m attending a short workshop with him later this week, and will ask him as well)