Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Zorica Lloyd

February 26, 2022 at 1:25 am

I was just talking to my students about being process oriented and problem solving oriented rather than solution oriented. I try to incorporate this kind of problem solving as much as I can because it gives students ownership of their learning. It also allows students that are less comfortable with math to realize they can figure out problems even if they haven’t understood rote algorithms in the past – they can develop/discover them. Someone above mentioned students who already know the algorithms. I think it can be very challenging to understand the why after you already know the method. So I try to get those students to solve the problem another way (which can be surprisingly difficult for them) or to compare and contrast their method with someone else’s to see if they can make those connections or even get a deeper understanding of why the algorithm works. Now, I’m thinking about explicitly mentioning this Hero’s Journey idea so that they can connect it things they already do, like watching movies, reading novels, and learning outside of a classroom. Maybe it will help them to see math learning like all other learning.