Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Stephanie Pritchett

February 23, 2022 at 9:17 pm

To start our journey I took a lesson that was comparing linear and exponential functions. The textbook first had the class read the story and then create three models to represent each situation. The situation was comparing two companies and their plan to increase net profit. After we read the story I asked students which company they would invest in, which company did they think would have the most profit.

Students chose companies and I place them on the board. This created engagement, participation, and curiosity. From there I asked students what they would need to know to help them make a better decision or to actually determine which company would have the greatest net profit increase.

Students went back to the story and found information within the story that would help them create tables, graphs and equations. Students then busily started creating models.

Following student work, students provided information from their models to prove or disprove their initial prediction and why they would keep or change their prediction. It was very beneficial to plan a lesson with the mountain journey on paper in front of me.

As I presented the lesson I had forgotten pieces of the lesson and it derailed it for a bit, but when I went back, the students had a reason to be engaged in the lesson.