Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• David McKnight

February 13, 2022 at 3:25 am

1: This lesson differs in traditional lessons in that it rely’s on the students to drive the questions. Furthermore, it relies non the student to draw on their previous knowledge and understanding to solve the problem. Traditional lessons are usually taking a slightly unfamiliar problem and applying the algorithms from their current the unit of study.

2: Students from all levels of knowledge and ability are hooked from the start. All methods of problem solving are welcome and no one person is initially ahead another. It levels the field. Even a new student on that day would be able to enter in the initial debate. Likewise a student with low numeracy skills and little understanding of the unit currently taught could at least be investing from the start of the lesson. All students buy In because they all make predictions that are then published to the class. Everyone has a stake in the problem.

3: I do “3-Act” style questions at least once every unit. Having done them many times, I don’t have many reservations, but I feel like working in groups is a great way to solve the problems once the initial video/intro is shown and the first round of guessing has taken place. I believe, that if possible, discretely grouping students according to their ability helps to avoid one student monopolizing the conversation. The downfall of random grouping, is that the students who need to work on problems solving the most, won’t benefit when the aren’t forced to initiate their own strategies.