Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Zorica Lloyd

February 10, 2022 at 11:05 am

This lesson style is certainly more engaging. It also gives students a sense of agency – I can solve this problem in a way that suits me. This style allow all students access to other students’ ways of thinking. This is important because in traditional lesson students tune out other explanations once they already have a correct answer. Also, since there isn’t a math only restriction on notice and wonder, we can hear what things pop into students’ heads when they see problems – e.g. teacher thinking about math, student wondering how video goes backwards. Rather than dismissing students observations are irrelevant, the class hears it, responds as necessary, and keeps it moving.

My reservation about this style isn’t so much a reservation as something to anticipate and find a work around for. I work with a transient population, so there will be students who transfer after the rest of the class has gotten used process. Also, there will be students who don’t know what we’re talking about when we reference a problem from months ago.