Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Tarini Arte

February 8, 2022 at 2:52 am

Really great concrete tips to orient us as we plan these tasks. I totally agree with the anticipation part and planning the progression to spark curiosity. We are curious beings and child or adult, get more invested when there’s something we are actually trying to solve. Kind of coincidental, but after Module 1 I just happened to look up more of your tasks since I wanted something for quadratics and found one very similar to the maximizing area of rectangle. Going to do it end of this week so let’s see how it goes. One technique you briefly mentioned that intrigued me was ‘lowering the math dial’ too. Particularly for honors courses, they tend to be super fluent and quick with the skills, but stepping back and contextualizing it has been a huge goal of mine this year – making it more about problem-solving (and yes fluency helps, but it’s the big connections that we can hone in on). My one worry in the standard classes I teach is student frustration from those that normally struggle at not having the information and sort of giving up early. But like you mention this might be to do with the culture from the beginning and making it part of a routine. Insightful tips all over.