Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Cori Thompson

January 20, 2022 at 4:28 pm

I tried this today. The kids were super engaged with the video and asked great questions. Their estimates were all in decimals… which was okay! And some even said 1 point eight and one half and so we got to talk about what half of one tenth would be.

Kids created number lines, round pie charts and one even did it is a rectangle. However, many kids only got done one model and some kids thought making a model was hard, or didn’t start, which was too bad because I feel we have done it lots. I did not provide hands on materials this time, but would probably do that next time to see if that helps. We didn’t quite finish, so we will work on it again tomorrow and then move onto day 2.

I’m wondering, when you’re asking “Convince me this is true…” What sorts of things do we want them to say? I had one student create 7 number lines and plot all the caterpillars on there to compare them and I was thinking, yah, that looks good. Haha, I didn’t get a chance to talk about it, but I did snap a photo. I am not sure what I would ask her to do next to convince me. Maybe, label with names and put them in order?